Wednesday, February 2, 2011

CAM 2011: Here we go again. :)

If you’ve never experienced Catherine Awareness Month, it’s not what you think it is.

If you have experienced CAM, it’s not what you think it is. I hope it’s better.

A few years ago I began to realize how much this impacts people. CAM started as a joke in 2005 and morphed into something people ask about year-round. It's remembered; anticipated. It promotes truth-seeking, deepened friendships and healing. I never thought it would change lives in those ways. That humbles me.

To CAM newbies: I continually thirst for truth and life, but in February I really dig into it. February is my month of heavy-hitting accountability for how aware I am of others and how honest I’m being with myself. Hence, Catherine Awareness Month. Forget Christmas newsletters and New Year’s resolutions - I take an entire month to purposefully connect with people and make changes in my life (keeps me occupied when the holidays are long over and I'm going stir-crazy with winter cabin fever). It’s easy to lose sight of what’s important in a fast-paced world. I want to be aware. My heart is to bring people along with me as I drink deeper of life. I want to see us tangibly spurred on toward love and good deeds – so I created a whole darn holiday to promote that.

Paul said to “fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfector of our faith.” (Heb 12:2) That is what this month is about. It’s about what is true, noble, excellent, pure and lovely (Phil 4:9). It’s about offering our bodies as living sacrifices (Rom 12:1). It’s about taking thoughts captive (II Cor 12:5). It’s about running the race (Heb 12:1). It’s about life and it’s about Jesus. If you know me, you know I love asking questions and uncovering the heart of the matter. Come explore with me – I invite you!

Last year was nothing like I thought it would be. I didn’t celebrate CAM 2010 because I effectively fractured my right radius January 31st, landing myself in a splint/cast/brace for weeks after. Life slowed as I transitioned to tying shoes with my teeth, applying eyeliner with my non-dominant hand, and carrying around pillows and ice packs until the swelling went down. I couldn't even cut my own food. It was awesome... and humbling. Then commenced the year of “nothing going according to [Catherine’s] plan.” Thank GOD!! It’s about time He cracked that self-sufficient, stubborn shell of mine J I am not where I thought I’d be, and entirely grateful for it. I’ll give you The Update next time around, along with The Theme. Oooh, you know you look forward to the Catherine Awareness Month Theme. Here we go. CAM is on, baby!

“Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it, but one thing I do… I press on….”

5 comments:

  1. You are and will always be a special person to me. ~ Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Catherine. I remember the first time I heard about CAM...

    Anyway, glad to see you had a blog! I had no idea. I blog too!

    www.thedianestory.wordpress.com

    Blessings to you my friend. I look forward to reading about your journey. Your passion for life in Christ is invigorating.

    Love,
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) I still can't help but wince a little when I read about your broken wrist. Thanks for doing CAM this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. can I just tell you again what an inspiration you are to me (and I'm sure I'm not alone)? I am so very very honored and blessed to have you in my life. hugs :) Leah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay!! This makes me happy. Changing lives and encouraging people. I love you all. Here we go with another round of CAM! Woot woot!

    ReplyDelete